Aug 14, 2008

As of Saturday evening, I decided upon changing my major. I was at the best coffee shop in Eugene (The Wandering Goat) with Carina after a fabulous day frequenting the Saturday market and the Whitaker neighborhood bloc party. We were sitting at a high table sipping our delicious lattes - made with hazelnut milk - and talking about life. Somehow the subject of what we're studying in school came up, and all my doubts about my chosen career path came out. Don't get me wrong, I've loved [almost] every bit of my engineering courses, and I picked chemical engineering in the first place because of my passion for math and chemistry. However, the more I've thought about life after school and the more I hear, "oh, chemical engineering and french? interesting. what do you plan on doing with that??" I realize I can't foresee an enjoyable career in engineering. When people ask me what I want to do after I finish school, two things usually come to mind: travel and maybe teach someday. So, after a 45 minute discussion with Carina, I decided I was going to change my major. I'm going back to school this fall to study mathematics and secondary education (along with my French) - I'm going to be a high school math teacher. Looks like Mr. O'Donahue had a big influence on me in AP calc.

Sunday morning rolled around, and at least six people at church asked me what I was studying. With most people I shared my thoughts from the night before, but not with everyone - because I hadn't even told my parents yet. Mom was out of town. Sunday afternoon I told my parents, who are ever supportive of whatever I want to study. (Thank you!) Monday I contacted the school, was assigned a new advisor, and informed of what classes I'd need to take this fall instead of engineering statics and dynamics, physics 235, engineering math 232, and C++ computer programming. Instead of these fun - but at the same time miserable classes, I'll be taking math 256 (linear algebra and something something else) education 102, french 215, sociology 151, computer science 108, the same two choirs as last year, and an aerobic dance PE class.

As of yesterday I have my class schedule all fixed and all my books ordered. I leave for Grand Rapids in the early early morning of August 27th, out of Portland. I'll be sad to leave Eugene again, but I'm so excited for this school year. I feel nervous about the complete change in plans, but very excited and at peace about my decision. And I so dearly miss my many friends from Calvin.

I'm looking forward to classes. I'm looking forward to my new job (desk receptionist in the dorm I lived in last year). I'm looking forward to baking bread two or three times a week again with Carsten. I'm looking forward to sharing an apartment with Carina. I'm sad that my good friend Leo won't be returning. I'm anxious to go back to my church. I can't wait to start learning Handel's Messiah. I look forward to going apple picking at the orchard. I can't wait to see my old room mate again. I hope to play another game of eucher with Pole (yes, that's 'Paul' with an English accent). I excited for what God has in store for me this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Kaylee Joy . . . In this day and age, it is atypical for someone to sail through four or five years of university without changing their major at least once. Life happens, attitudes change, and things change the more you experience life.

When you consider today's cost of university/college education, correctly deciding what you will do for the rest of your life while yet a senior in high school . . . doesn't that read kinda crazy??

Summer internships make lots of sense to me, as a way to explore or make sure education dollars are wisely spent. In fact, my university career spanned seven years from 1975 to 1982, and during that period, I spent two years ('78 to '80) learning about the work world of seafood processing technology. This winding road through university worked out quite well for me, yet probably caused Mom and Dad considerable anguish (earning me the status of black-sheep and college drop-out #1 of 6 kids).

On returning to OSU in the fall of 1981, I knew what I was going to do with my education, I was focused, and I was on a mission to finish with a four year degree in Food Science and Technology.

It is worthy to note however, that I completed most of the basic required freshman and sophomore classes before I went exploring. And if you do choose to do a multi-year internship, decide ahead of time whether your ultimate goal is a university/college degree or advanced degree, making sure that everything you choose to take-on moves you in the general direction of your goal.

Two more items . . . university/college life is a unique period of your life. Enjoy it. And . . . Yes, grades are important, yet learning how to work with, communicate with, and get along with people is even more critical. If you are book-smart but can not work with others, your life and career will be miserable.

Here ends my soap-box for today . . .

Humbly and affectionately,

Uncle Roger
15 Aug '08 @ 13:25 PDT